Friday, August 12, 2005

"Some of us have a little bit, and some of us are soaked in it."

You may have seen this post by Cindy Sheehan. I just happened to stumble across it, and it is worthy of wider dissemination.

Jacques Derrida wrote: "Religion is responsibility, or it is nothing at all." Ms. Sheehan understands what our leaders don't: in a democracy, we are all responsible:

There is too much at stake to worry about our own egos. When my son was killed, I had to face the fact that I was somehow also responsible for what happened. Every American that allows this to continue has, to some extent, blood on their hands. Some of us have a little bit, and some of us are soaked in it.
When I think of the moral courage it took to write those words, it erases all of the slander and libel being directed toward Ms. Sheehan from so many "supporters" of the President.

It is a matter of responsibility. It is, also, a religious matter. "Whatever you did to the least of these, you did to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment