Monday, July 17, 2017

Who knew insurance was so complicated?


Glad there's nothing important going on!

Can we just agree Brit Hume is an idiot?

Speaking with “Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace and Obamacare architect Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, Hume called coverage of those with pre-exisiting conditions, not a “triumph” but problematic, like insuring a driver who has a car wreck in their past.

“The triumph of Obamacare is this coverage for pre-existing conditions, which basically defeats the whole idea of insurance,” Hume suggested. “Which is, for example, in the automobile insurance market, if you could wait until you had a wreck and then buy insurance and have the repairs covered, that’s comparable to what we’re doing here.”

Emanuel attempted to interject saying, “But Brit, if I have cancer –,” only to be cut off by the Fox personality.

“Hold on, let me finish. Can I please finish?” Hume exclaimed. “The idea of insurance is that you purchase it to guard against risks and things that may occur in the future. It’s not that you purchase the coverage after you are already sick. Once that idea is gone, Obamacare essential remains.”

Given a chance to speak, Emanuel attempted to explain the dilemma to Hume.

“If I have cancer through no fault of my own, I didn’t hit a car, I need to have insurance to cover me. This bill does nothing for those people,” he lectured. “It only makes the price of their insurance ever higher. Cancer patients and patients with multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease get completely written out of coverage by this bill.”

Genetics, man; if they're predisposed to cancer or Alzheimer's, they don't deserve coverage.  That defeats the idea of insurance; everybody knows that.  Right?  'Cause the idea of insurance is to never pay for anything, right?

Maybe Mr. Hume is related to an insurance company employee.

As a person who, in 46 years of driving has had 3 accidents, and yet still has insurance coverage (which has returned to normal; it jumped up after the second wreck, but has subsided again), I wish to tell Mr. Hume he doesn't understand insurance at all.

Car insurance is now required in almost every state (I hate to overstate that, so I qualify it), if you want to own a car.  Health insurance used to be something that covered hospitalization (I'm old enough to remember going to the doctor as an adult and not using my insurance to cover my visits.  Indeed, I remember when my doctor had to hire another doctor to help pay for the staff he had to hire to handle all the insurance paperwork as insurance began to take over healthcare.  Now try going to the doctor without it.  I used to pay all my medical bills myself.  I wouldn't want to try that now.).  Health insurance is now more necessary than car insurance (which is really just to make sure I have a company to pay your company for the damages I cause to you).  And neither is revoked if you use it, or is problematic if you have a "pre-existing" condition like driving enough you raise the odds you'll have a wreck.

These things that pass for knowledge I don't understand.....

2 comments:

  1. Brit Hume is 74, being 74 is a preexisting condition known to enhance the probability of someone requiring expensive treatment. His health insurance coverage should be astronomically expensive. Being 74 is as much in his control as someone who gets sick or has a preexisting condition.

    He is also a soulless servant of Pharaoh c. 2017. I'm amazed that someone can go through personal tragedy and learn less than nothing from it.

    There are times I hope there is at least a long sentence in hell for such people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easier to tell everybody else to fuck off than to try to care for them. This seems to be a peculiarly American attitude where healthcare is concerned.

    ReplyDelete